Tuesday, January 4, 2011

a book tower




We have collected a number of farming related books and more are always coming. We're a little addicted!
Here's a review roundup of the ones we have. This is a small portion of the books we've read - most we get from the library. If we love then we buy.

The first four books are bee related. They were given to us from Grampy Gillis's collection and I admit, I have not yet read these. Here's why: we're moving in two months (eek!) and right now we have an excellent interlibrary state-wide loan system at our disposal.
When we move to Vermont, I hear, the interlibrary loan situation is less than excellent. So I'm frantically reading every book I can get my hands on in the RI system. That reminds me, who requested The Profitable Hobby Farm? Just asking. When you borrow books from the library you get them for three weeks. This is usually more than sufficient. Except ... when you are also borrowing seven other books, transforming two rooms in your house-to-be, getting seeds started, going to conferences... and if someone has requested the book you're borrowing you can not renew it - that's fair, but means I need to get that book READ. It's due March 3.

Carrots Love Tomatoes - This is a go-to book for us. We use it mostly as a reference but I often find myself sucked in because ... well it's interesting what plants like to be near each other and equally interesting is the plants not to plant together. Here's a great online list of companion plants. (I LOVE Mother Earth News!)

Square Foot Gardening - This is another book I've dabbled in but haven't read from start to finish. My good friend Kate recommended this book last year after she discovered it and started square foot gardening. I know another friend has also does square foot gardening with great success. I don't know if this is practical on a larger scale - mostly because as far as I can tell, it seems like the built boxes are necessary? This is very costly and I'm assuming the wood boxes wouldn't last long with the abuse it would have to put up with in the garden. Note: this is all said without reading the book in full.

No comments:

About This Blog

This is a record of her adventures moving from urban farm to rural farm.
We've learned a lot on a small scale urban farm and we're making plans to transition to a family owned dairy farm.
We have spent countless hours researching, daydreaming, and discussing future farming plans and aspirations. This is where you get to see our progress.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP